Listed Building: LOW FARMHOUSE (282017)
Find out more about heritage designations.
Grade | II |
---|---|
Authority | |
Volume/Map/Item | 282017 |
Date assigned | 17 March 1986 |
Date last amended |
Description
UGGESHALL TM 48 SE 4/58 Low Farmhouse
- II
Former farmhouse. 1565, for Robert Crowfoot: the front ana rear wallposts in the parlour are carved respectively with the date and name 'Robart Crofot'. Restored from 3 cottages in 1960's. Timber framed and plastered, pantiled roof. 2 storeys and attics. 3 cell form, originally with cross-passage entry. Most of the windows have roll-moulded mullions and diamond-leaded glass: some are original, others including the large ground floor windows are mid C20 copies. Lobby entrance with mid C20 plank door in early frame with arched head; the doorway to the cross-passage has been blocked although the doorframe is still visible. Internal stack and external stack to right hand gable end. Interior with good exposed framing and joists. The hall and parlour have good fireplaces with the original timber lintols; the heads of the wallposts in both these rooms are carved with rectangular panels with fluting beneath, the panels in the parlour containing the date and name referred to above. On the first floor is a section of re-used plank and muntin screen and a matching door over which is a baluster-type grill. Newel stairs; original floorboarding and some original doors. The roof has clasped and butt purlins, with arched wind-bracing between. A rare example of a dated house also bearing the name of the original owner. The will of Robert Crowfoot, dated 1572, is preserved at the County Record Office, Ipswich.
Listing NGR: TM4587581217
External Links (1)
Sources (0)
Location
Grid reference | TM 45875 81217 (point) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TM48SE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2020 10:55AM