Lindsey Castle or the Mounts, also apparently known as Boar Hills early this century (S1). Scheduled
Motte and bailey castle covering about 5 acres. Roughly pentagonal bailey with a massive ditch and bank, bisected by a stream. The ditch is 3.5m wide and 2.7m deep, the bank is 2.5m high. At the S end of the bailey is a large low motte, 3.6m high, covering about half an acre. The stream runs along the E side of the motte, at the N end of the bailey the stream was dammed up to form a pond, now silted up. There is a causewayed entrance on the W side (S2).
C11-C12 unglazed sherds with square rims and sagging bases found in the side of the moat on the N side of mound, 1953 (S3). Much early roof-tiling is said to have been found, but none visible in 1981. The mound was then tree covered, mostly hawthorn with grass and nettle cover. There appeared to be a trench dug in the NE corner. The bailey was covered by rough grass and clumps of nettles, grazed by cattle, banks mostly tree covered (S4). Castle held by Adam de Cockfield, one of the knights of St Edmund, in the time of King Stephen (S5). This castle is sometimes identified with 'the great messuage, where the hall of Adam the first of Cockfield was once situated, together with a wooden tower/belfry (berefrido ligneo) seven score feet high' mentioned by William of Diss (late C12)(S5). However the context of this is vague and the tower could have been at Cockfield or in Bury St Edmunds.
In 1204 Thomas de Burgh (husband of Nesta de Cockfield) had a licence to fortify his house at "Leleshay" (Linsey)(S6).
See also LYS 002 & 003.