TM 0735 EAST BERGHOLT QUINTONS ROAD (North Side)
5/45 High Trees Farmhouse
House. Open-hall house of c1500 remodelled C18, later alterations and additions including some interior remodelling of 1932 by Raymond Erith. Timber-framed, front cased in red brick in Flemish bond, rear underbuilt in brick and rendered above, gable ends rebuilt in brick. Red brick stacks. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic, 5-bay frame. Original central open hall, floored over C16. 7 irregular window bays. Off-centre half-glazed door in C20 timber porch. Sash windows with glazing bars in flush wood architraves under flat gauged brick arches. One inserted window with Gothick glazing to right. Steeply-pitched roof. End and off-centre ridge stacks. Rear: C20 extensions of no special interest. Two C19 sashes with glazing bars and C20 casements. Two gabled dormers with casements. Interior: entrance hall has moulded ceiling beams and joists. Section of moulded and brattished dais beam exposed to right. Remodelled by Erith in C18 style with panelling and staircase. Plaster cornices to ground floor rooms. Further stair to rear of stack. Framing exposed in part to first floor including wall plate, jowled post with hollow chamfer with mortice for arch brace to hollow-chamfered cambered tie beam. To attic: hall crown post to 4th bay - octagonal post on base with moulded capital, braced to purlin and collar. Somewhat damaged due to later partition wall (now removed). Studded partition to left incorporating unmoulded crown post, beyond this wall the collar purlin is truncated. Unmoulded crown posts to remaining bays to right.
Listing NGR: TM0755435577