Listed Building: SHRUBLANDS (281687)
Find out more about heritage designations.
Grade | II |
---|---|
Authority | |
Volume/Map/Item | 281687 |
Date assigned | 29 July 1955 |
Date last amended |
Description
WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD BROCKFORD GREEN
TM 16 NW
3/102 Shrublands (formerly
29.7.55 listed as "Shrublands"
and barn)
-- II
Farmhouse. Late C16 3-cell main range; late C15/early C16 work to rear,
extended to left and linked to main range in C17. Timber framed, the main
range with exposed close studding except right gable end which is rendered.
Work to rear also has exposed framing. Roofs mainly plaintiled. 2 storeys,
part with attic. Main range is end-jettied to left. 2 and 3-light casement
windows without glazing bars, those on the ground floor of mid C20, the upper
ones older. Lobby entry: C20 battened and studded plank door, plain surround
and cornice. To right of centre is the original cross-entry, now blocked.
Stack has square plinth from which rise 4 separate square shafts set
diamondwise: the plinth and moulded bases of the shafts are original, the
remainder rebuilt C20. Left gable end has good projecting 4-light ground
floor window of c.1600 with ovolo-moulded mullions. Evidence for original
first floor and attic windows above. At rear is an original gabled stair wing
with later additions each side. Against rear wall of service cell is a
massive stack with 4 offsets, perhaps of 1738 (dated brick). Parlour cell has
original rear doorway (blocked), an unusual feature. Rear block is in
parallel to main range, offset to the right: 3 secondary diamond-mullioned
windows to front, plank door, internal stack with plain axial shaft. One-
storey dairy added on left gable end. Interior. Earliest work is right hand
half of rear block, comprising one complete bay (into part of which the stack
has been inserted) and a fragment of a second which continued to the right.
Full-height studding, one reverse-curved brace, tie beam at bay division
removed. Original but fragmentary roof has sooted rafters and wind-braced
side purlins, suggesting a former open hall or smoke bay. Left cell of rear
block has plain studding and ceiling joists; one original gable window with
chamfered mullions and diamond glazing bars. Hall has chamfered-joist
ceiling. Service room enlarged by removal of partition wall with hall:
slightly chamfered ceiling joists, blocked fireplace with 3 C17 cupboards
adjacent. Parlour chamber retains original division into 2 rooms. In hall
chamber, 2 doors retain outlines of birds, the only remains of a similar
painted decoration covering the whole of this room in C19. Intact stair with
circular newel post. Some good C16-C17 doors, mainly in rear sections. Roof
over main range not examined.
Listing NGR: TM1235265548
External Links (1)
Sources (0)
Location
Grid reference | TM 12352 65548 (point) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TM16NW |
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
May 22 2008 12:06PM