Listed Building: SHEEPCOTE HALL (384572)
Find out more about heritage designations.
Grade | II |
---|---|
Authority | |
Volume/Map/Item | 384572 |
Date assigned | 09 December 1955 |
Date last amended |
Description
STOWMARKET
TM05NE CREETING ROAD
614-1/3/48 (South side)
09/12/55 Sheepcote Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
STOWUPLAND
Sheepcote Hall)
GV II
Manor house and offices. Late C16 with some mid and late C20
alterations. Roughcast and colourwashed timber-frame with some
brick. Plain tile roofs.
Plan is of C16 block running east-west with a gabled
projection to left of north front. To the rear are 3 gabled
projections. Early C17 timber-framed extension added at right
angles to the left of facade projecting north.
2 storeys and atticMain front with C20 panelled door to left
of an early C20 canted bay window. One sash left of door and 2
to first floor. Gabled wing to left with one sash each floor.
All windows are mid C20 sashes. Gabled roofs. Gable-end stack
to west end on front roof slope comprises a C16 rectangular
plinth with a saw-toothed flue cluster above. East gable with
a similar external stack growing out of concentration of later
outshuts and additions.
Rear (south) elevation has one 2/2 sash to west gable end,
otherwise all openings have late C20 aluminium replacements.
East end with a single-storey hipped brick extension.
North early C17 projection probably originally a brewhouse,
now offices. 2 storeys. Plank door to west with two 3-light
C20 windows under eaves. Stack emerges through roof at eaves.
East face with C20 gabled porch and three C20 windows of
differing types.
INTERIOR. Brewhouse has thin scantling timber-frame with
chamfered tie beams. Wide wall fireplace of English bond brick
with bread oven complete with cast-iron door and fittings.
Close studded first floor frame. C20 sub-divisions. Main block
with staircase in entrance hall installed 1950. Various
alterations to plan at same time and inserted partitions.
Ground floor: East room (kitchen) with roll-moulded bridging
beam with keeled tongue stops. Room right (west) of entrance
with chamfered cruciform bridging beams with tongue and bar
stops. Room to rear remodelled 1950, but originally contained
the C16 staircase.
First floor: Frame with jowled principal studs. West room with
small-framed C17 panelling not in situ. C16 roof of projecting
east wing of principals, curved windbraces, butt purlins and
cambered chamfered collars. C17 roof of main block with
chamfered principals, collars, curved windbracing and renewed
purlins.
Rear cross-wing roof with clasped purlins but undiminished
principals, collars and curved windbraces, C16.
Listing NGR: TM0638458612
External Links (1)
Sources (0)
Location
Grid reference | TM 06384 58612 (point) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TM05NE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
May 22 2008 12:06PM