Listed Building: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (427134)

Find out more about .

Grade II
Authority
Volume/Map/Item 427134
Date assigned 18 April 1986
Date last amended

Description

1. WICKHAMBROOK MEETING GREEN United Reformed Church TL 75 NW SP/634 II 3/634 2. Chapel, built in 1743 by the local congregation of Independents; later Congregationalist; became the United Reformed Church in 1972. In red brick, with an admixture of blue bricks, laid in Flemish bond; slate roof, fully hipped; plain flat pilasters at the corners. The building has a characteristic facade in 2 storeys, with an upper row of 3 cross windows, and a similar slightly longer window in the centre of the ground floor: all these are late C19 replacements in the original openings, which have segmental arched heads in gauged brickwork. Flanking the ground floor window are 2 original doorways with plain surrounds, segmental arches, and fine doors, each with 8 raised and fielded panels. Set into the wall are 2 semi-circular wrought iron foot-scrapers, and on the left side is an ornate bracketed lamp holder with a decorative finial on top. On the rear wall are 2 long original windows with semi-circular heads and diamond-leaded panes; the light is divided into 3 by heavy glazing-bars, and there is a small opening casement with pintle hinges in the central division. The gauged brick surrounds have keystones and capitals. The interior is typical, with a gallery on 3 sides: the fronts have applied octagonal panels, and the supporting wooden columns have moulded caps and bases. According to the chapel records, the 2 side galleries were added c.1813. The rear gallery is now an organ loft. On the rear wall above the gallery is a very long row of wooden hat pegs. Late C19 benches and roof, the latter an ingenious structure of cast iron and timber, with cast iron ties, and timber queen struts and side purlins. This may have been designed to replace an earlier roof supported on a pillar or pillars. The pulpit, placed centrally between the 2 long windows on the rear wall, is panelled and approached by a flight of steps. Adjoining the chapel on the left is a single-storey Sunday School building in matching materials: said to date from c.1813, with late C19 alterations. Hipped roof; 2 cross windows; central doorway; door with 2 leaves, each 4-panelled with applied mouldings, and a rectangular fanlight with vertical glazing bars; the open roof is similar to that of the chapel. A C19 vestry added to part of the back of the chapel and a C20 extension to the Sunday School building. Listing NGR: TL7463055697

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference TL 7463 5569 (point)
Map sheet TL75NW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Mar 20 2025 1:41PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.