Listed Building: TUFFIELDS FARMHOUSE (405399)
Find out more about heritage designations.
Grade | II |
---|---|
Authority | |
Volume/Map/Item | 405399 |
Date assigned | 14 July 1955 |
Date last amended |
Description
TL 85 NW WHEPSTEAD TUFFIELDS ROAD
4/150 Tuffields Farmhouse (Formerly listed under Melon 14.7.55 Green)
II
House, formerly farmhouse; c.1500 with alterations of several periods. 2 storeys; hall range and 2 cross-wings. Timber-framed and rendered. Slated roofs. 2 fine early C17 axial chimneys of red brick, one with a group of 4 octagonal flues on a square plinth; star-tops of carved brick (restored in cement), sunk rendered panels on each face of shaft and prominent moulded base. A second 2-flue chimney has the plinth only remaining, the flues rebuilt C19. Mainly sliding sash windows, c.1842 (date in roof strucure); glazed pair of panelled entrance doors. The right-hand parlour wing, c.1500, has substantial close-studded framing; in the parlour chamber an arch-headed doorway and traces of a painted frieze and other abstract decoration of late C16 or early C17. The hall range built early or mid C16, probably replacing an earlier structure. The service wing c.1500; extended forwards to form a symmetrical H-plan c.1600. Chimneys inserted c.1600; one with back-to-back fireplaces to the kitchen and new parlour; the second with fireplaces to the hall, old parlour and the chambers above; the hall range reroofed with principal rafters, purlins, and collars supporting an attic floor. A pair of crude oak figures and panelling, c.1600, found in a partition, now fixed over the new parlour fireplace. A number of c.1600 ovolo-mullioned windows. All roofs rebuilt c.1842 (date carved on collar in cross-wing).
Listing NGR: TL8329356765
External Links (1)
Sources (1)
- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment. HOB UID: 542773.
Location
Grid reference | TL 8329 5676 (point) |
---|---|
Map sheet | TL85NW |
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2022 11:17AM