Listed Building: NOWTON HALL (284443)

Find out more about .

Grade II*
Authority
Volume/Map/Item 284443
Date assigned 14 July 1955
Date last amended

Description

In the entry for the following:- TL 86 SE NOWTON Nowton Hall 4/22 14.7.55 GV II The grade shall be amended to read II * (star) TL 86 SE NOWTON 4/22 Nowton Hall 14.7.55 II Former farmhouse. Dated 1595 on chimney-stack, with the initials A.P. for Anthony Payne (d.1606): an earlier C16 fragment remains, and there are additions of the C18 and C19. 2 storeys and attics: 3-cell form to main range. Timber-framed; jettied along the main front: ground storey faced in colourwashed brick, upper storey rendered. C20 plaintiles. An internal chimney-stack has 4 octagonal shafts with attached heads and moulded bases; on the square base below is a large plaster panel with an unusual raised fishscale decoration surmounted by the date and initials. Another internal stack, further west, has a plain red brick shaft. Small-paned sash windows and 2 canted bays to the ground storey; tripartite small-paned sash windows to the upper storey. An off-centre early C20 half-glazed door set into a late C18 surround with eared architrave and rectangular traceried fanlight. Much of the framing is exposed inside. At the west end of the main range are the remains of an early C16 cross-wing, now re-roofed in line with the rest of the range, with a later chimney-stack on its east side. This part has tension bracing to one end wall, and on the west side a further half-bay which may be the truncated section of an earlier hall range. The remainder of the main range relates to the date of 1595 on the chimney-stack: 5 bays, including a chimney-bay, with an original stair-wing behind it which contains an apparently resited stair with a plain handrail to the first floor; the upper flight leading to the attics may be a later date. A large open fireplace with timber lintel to the east of the main stack. Good close-studding with a middle rail to the whole range; ovolo-moulded main beams to ground and first floor ceilings, and a number of ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, now blocked, but with mullions in situ. The roof has clasped purlins, large principal rafters and the remnants of windbraces, but the attics, which are original, are mainly plastered. The house stands on the remains of a roughly E-shaped moated site. Prior to the Dissolution, the manor belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of St. Edmundsbury. Listing NGR: TL8610160464

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference TL 86101 60464 (point)
Map sheet TL86SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Mar 16 2020 8:20AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.