Site Event/Activity record ESF21173 - Historic building survey at Hall Farm, Bruisyard Hall

Please read our .

Location

Location Bruisyard Hall, Bruisyard
Grid reference Centred TM 334 660 (30m by 32m)
Map sheet TM36NW
Civil Parish BRUISYARD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Technique(s)

Organisation

Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service

Date

Not recorded.

Map

Description

Bruisyard Hall is an imposing grade II*-listed Elizabethan brick mansion on the site of a late medieval nunnery approximately 800 m east of Bruisyard parish church. It was built as the main seat of Michael Hare, son of Sir Nicholas Hare, Henry VIII's Master of Requests, and is shown on a sketch plan of 1748 with two gated outer courtyards that were demolished in the mid-19th century. When Hare died childless in 1611 the house passed by marriage to the Rous family of Henham Hall, subsequently Earls of Stradbroke, and remains in their possession. The historic farm complex lies 120 metres south of the hall and adjoins the eastern side of a 220 metre-long drive from Hall Road. It consists of a well-preserved mid-19th century brick cattle yard and shelter-shed in the angle of two earlier barns to the south and west. The southern barn is a five-bay threshing barn of the early-19th century with unusual ventilation apertures in its original external weatherboarding. The other is a 16th C stable, later converted to a barn. A historic building survey was carried out for these farm buildings prior to their conversion for use as a wedding venue. Project status: Complete Yes, Validated Yes Previous/Future Work: Previous Not known, Future Not known Associated Identifiers: Sitecode BUD 006 Project Type: Building Recording Methods and Techniques: Photographic Survey, Survey/Recording Of Fabric/Structure Reason for Investigation: Direction from Local Planning Authority - PPG16 Site status: Listed Building Current Land use: Other 2 - In use as a building Monument Type(s)/Period(s): BUILDING Post Medieval Artefact Type(s)/Period(s): NONE None PROJECT LOCATION Area 150.00 Square metres Grid Reference: TM334661 Point PROJECT CREATOR(S) Brief originator: Local Authority Archaeologist and/or Planning Authority/advisory body Design originator: Edward Martin Director/Manager: David Gill Supervisor: Leigh Alston DIGITAL ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR Contents: other Media: Images raster / digital photography PAPER ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR Contents: Survey Media: Map, Photograph, Report BIBLIOGRAPHY Publication Type: Grey literature (unpublished document/manuscript) Title: The Farm Buildings, Hall Farm, Bruisyard Hall, Suffolk BUD 006 Historic Building Record Author(s)/Editor(s): Alston, L. Other Bibliographic Details: SCCAS Report Date: 2009 Issuer/Publisher: SCCAS Place of Issue or Publication: Bury St Edmunds Description: A4, white cover with colour photo (also available as PDF)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2009. Historic Building Record: The farm buildings, Hall Farm, Bruisyard Hall, Suffolk.

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

  • Hall Farm, Bruisyard Hall (Monument)

Record last edited

Nov 17 2017 1:20PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.