Site Event/Activity record ESF21256 - Barn at Ufford Hall, Historic Building Record

Please read our .

Location

Location Ufford Hall Farm, Laxfield Road, Fressingfield
Grid reference Centred TM 272 746 (15m by 31m)
Map sheet TM27SE
Civil Parish FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Technique(s)

Organisation

Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service

Date

Not recorded.

Map

Description

Ufford Hall lies 3 km south-east of Fressingfield village. It occupies the site of a medieval manor and the present house is of the 15/16th century and grade II* listed. The site is of special interest as the childhood and subsequently retirement home of Dr William Sancroft, Archbishop of Canterbury who attended King Charles II on his death bed and crowned James II. The large timber-framed, weatherboarded barn (c.1620) lies north-east of the house and is grade II listed. In the 17th century it would have formed part of a courtyard in front of the house. The nine bay frame includes two stables with hay lofts at both ends of the five bay barn. The southern stable was probably added c.1600 to a medieval barn which was subsequently rebuilt on the same site, re-using timber. The threshing barn has full-height doors to the east, where it now adjoins a late-20th century porch, and contained a small rear door in its western elevationt. Its original thatch has been replaced but in all other respects the structure remains exceptionally intact with a full complement of arch-braces to its tie-beams and a complete arcade of decorative wind-braces to the clasped-purlins of its roof. A series of sharply cranked raking queen-struts links the tie-beams to the principal rafters in a visually striking manner. These various features create a highly impressive interior. The survival of stables and lofts at both ends is of particular historic interest, representing a typical East Anglian combination rarely found elsewhere. Project status: Complete Yes, Validated Yes Previous/Future Work: Previous Yes, Future Not known Associated Identifiers: HER event no. FSF 069 Sitecode FSF 069 Planning Application No. Mid Suffolk 2867/10 Project Type: Building Recording Methods and Techniques: Measured Survey, Photographic Survey, Survey/Recording Of Fabric/Structure Reason for Investigation: Planning condition Site status: Listed Building Current Land use: Other 2 - In use as a building Monument Type(s)/Period(s): THRESHING BARN Post Medieval , STABLE Post Medieval , HAYLOFT Post Medieval Artefact Type(s)/Period(s): NONE None PROJECT LOCATION Area 660.00 Square metres Grid Reference: TM273746 Point PROJECT CREATOR(S) Brief originator: Local Authority Archaeologist and/or Planning Authority/advisory body Design originator: Edward Martin Director/Manager: David Gill Supervisor: Leigh Alston DIGITAL ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR ID: FSF 069 Contents: other Media: Images raster / digital photography, Text PAPER ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR ID: FSF 069 Contents: other Media: Correspondence, Report BIBLIOGRAPHY Publication Type: Grey literature (unpublished document/manuscript) Title: Barn at Ufford Hall Farm, Fressingfield, Suffolk, FSF 069, Historic Building Record Author(s)/Editor(s): Alston, L. Other Bibliographic Details: SCCAS Report Date: 2011 Issuer/Publisher: SCCAS Place of Issue or Publication: Bury St Edmunds Description: A4, comb bound, white cover with colour photograph, two appendices (also available as pdf)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2011. Historic Building Record: Barn at Ufford Hall Farm, Fressingfield, Suffolk.

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

  • Barn at Ufford Hall Farm (Building)

Record last edited

Jan 3 2012 10:16AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.