Monument record IKL 020 - Kiln Field, Icklingham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 785 718 (457m by 593m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Part of large scheduled Roman settlement site - see also IKL 093 to W and IKL 063 (1977 excavation), ILK 064 (Roman road), IKL 078 (shaft?) and IKL 094 (Icklingham `treasure' and iron scatter) from `Kiln Field'. Further Rom sites are scattered around this site.
1937: Three kilns of circular updraught type with a central pedestal excavated by the Rev H Tyrrell Green. Exact locations not recorded but said to have been found `in a line' across the field, parallel to the road (S1, S10, S11, S2, S12). Photographs of kiln & sketch in (S3). Tyrrell Green photos dated May 1937 of 3 kilns & 3 pots in Norwich Castle Museum (S4).
Oct 1951: "Sites of 6 kilns visible on airmap. Many sacks of wasters kept on farm (note Lucas bequest now in Mildenhall Museum). This field most prolific for coins, hundreds of brass, no silver. All RB", notated on margin of 6 inch map which marks arc of kilns (S5). Further information in (S13). ? Material from kilns in Ipswich Museum (S9,R3).
1958: Iron ? wool comb (also see IKL 094), 9 ins x 4 ins marked on (S5). However the wool comb in British Museum is also marked (by Edwardson) on Moyses Hall map - see microfilm.
1971: Stamped mortarium rim from in British Museum (S10). 1987: NW part of kiln field systematically detected under supervision of SAU. Detailed analysis of finds and plotting not yet complete in Jan 1989 (S8).
From NHRE record:
(TL 78447190) ROMAN Pottery Kilns (R) (sites of) (NAT) (S6)
Three Romano-British pottery kilns, probably 3rd century, were found on Weatherhill Farm in 1937. (S12)
(TL 78447190) Six kilns visible on air map. Many sacks of wasters kept on farm.
Nothing visible on RAF air photographs. (S5)
The kilns are situated on a gentle westerly slope under plough. Perambulation produced a few scattered sherds of Romano-British grey coarse ware but no areas of concentration to suggest the kiln sites. The present landowner, Colonel G.W Browning (b), could supply no information other than that all the finds were deposited in Mildenhall Museum when the previous owner Major Lucas died. The museum confirmed possession but have no further information. Nothing visible on OS air photograph 76/060/210 and the Tithe Map 1839 shows the area as pasture. (S17)
Related Archives/Objects ?
AA77/05054 KILN 1
AA77/05055 KILN 1
AA77/05056 KILN 1
AA77/05057 (ARCHIVE) POTTERY FROM KILN 2
AA79/00156 KILN 1
AA79/00157 KILN 1
P34671 KILN 2
P34672 KILN 1 (?)
P34673 KILN 2
P34674 POTTERY FROM KILN 2
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- --- SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. See Description.
- <S1> SSF59405 Article in serial: Owles, E.. 1971. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1971.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE8.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, VIII, 31-34 (photographs), XCI, 51 (sketch plan), XCVI, 70.
- <S4> SSF12302 Excavation archive: Norwich Castle Museum. Suffolk parish records, Icklingham, photos. NWHCM, Suffolk parish records, Icklingham, photos.
- <S5> SSF11207 Cartographic materials: MIHLM. 6 inch record map. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch map, G Briscoe entry Oct 1951 & Feb 1958.
- <S6> SSF55957 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1958. Archaeology in Suffolk 1958.
- <S7> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE13.
- <S8> SSF16448 Excavation archive: Plouviez J. SAU, IKL 020, survey archive. Plouviez J, SAU, IKL 020, survey archive.
- <S9> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham R, 1938.
- <S10> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S11> SSF59935 Article in serial: West, S, E. and Plouviez, J.. 1976. The Roman Site at Icklingham.
- <S12> SSF6647 Article in serial: Frere S & Clarke R R,. 1945. The Romano-British village at Needham, Norfolk. Frere S & Clarke R R, Norf Arch, 28, 1945, 213.
- <S13> SSF21958 Bibliographic reference: Swan V. Pottery Kilns of Roman Britain.
- <S14> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1938-9, 1938.
- <S15> SSF38004 Microform: A R Edwardson entry. Microfilm: BSEMH correspondents record map, 32 NE, A R Edwardson entry,. Microfilm: BSEMH correspondents record map, 32 NE, A R Edwardson entry,.
- <S16> SSF59873 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 6" 1958.
- <S17> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 06-OCT-77.
- FSF7917: KILN WASTE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7918: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7919: COMB (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7920: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7921: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7922: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7923: BOW BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7924: TRUMPET BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7925: PIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7926: FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7927: NECKLACE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: English Heritage (AML), large scale geophysical survey, 1993-7 (Ref: ) (ESF19209)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Green H T (Ref: Green H T) (ESF15041)
- Event - Survey: Plouviez J, SAU, metal detecting survey, 198708. (ESF16829)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13430)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF12333)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2021 9:31AM