Monument record BSE 061 - Haberden; Haberdon (Un)

Please read our .

Summary

"In a district called Haberdon, to the SE of the town and E of Southgate Street, the only remaining earthwork defences of Bury lie in a field".

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8620 6345 (357m by 286m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

"In a district called Haberdon, to the SE of the town and E of Southgate Street, the only remaining earthwork defences of Bury lie in a field. An escarpment facing SE by S is 14 ft in depth, with a fosse having a counterscarp of 6 ft; the outer scarp is 5 ft 8 ins and is a very gentle slope. Branching from the fosse and facing due S is another entrenchment with a scarp of 2 ft 4 ins and a counterscarp of 1 ft 6 ins, with an outer bank 1 ft high. Towards the E it has been mutilated by field drainage and to the N by digging for gravel" (S1).
Earthworks also shown on Warren's 1776 map of Bury (S2) and on the OS 1:500 map of 1886 (S3).
Apart from main scarp rest levelled, probably during construction of rugby/sports field pre 1963, and later. Possibly links to Southgate (BSE 064) to SW and to No Man's Meadows earthwork (BSE 173) to E/NE.
For human remains, see BSE 160.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 623.
  • <S2> (No record type): EAA, 1, 1975, 53, fig 30 (copy of Warren's 1776 map).
  • <S3> (No record type): OS, 1:500 map, 1886.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Apr 6 2016 12:34PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.