Monument record IKL 071 - Civil War Sconce near Farthing Bridge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7723 7255 (120m by 122m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`A well defined civil war sconce with four angle bastions' (OS, FPM, 16.3. 77)(S1)(R1)(R2).
September 1977: `The earthwork lies on river alluvium, at present under pasture near where a road bridge crosses River Lark. The work was partially levelled after the 1939-1945 war (Mr S Marston, landowner), but still retains a low profile. It measures about 65m square with central mound 20m NW to SE by 12m transversely, by 0.8m high. A shallow outer ditch, 7m wide by 0.4m deep surrounds the four bastions, with a further ditch 3m wide by 0.3m deep lying about 10m beyond. The bastions now average 10m square by 0.5m high with a causeway leading to the central position. A spoil heap has mutilated the N side of the central mound and a war-time pill-box has been built on the S bastion' (S1)(S2).
1981: Covered in high grass, nettles - scrub (S3).
No history of its use known though the two adjoining manors of Icklingham (the sconce appears to protect the bridge crossing the River Lark to Icklingham) were owned by a rival Parliamentarian and a Royalist.
- <R1> SSF17422 (No record type): RAF, APs CPE/UK/1918, 3015-16, 9 1 47.
- <M1> SSF42857 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE70, 1977.
- <R2> SSF13067 (No record type): OS, AP, 76 060 112.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1978, PSIA, 34, 1979, (3), 215.
- <S3> SSF5248 (No record type): DOE, scheduling information, 1978, 1981.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13932)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13795)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13525)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (PAS) (Ref: OS (PAS)) (ESF12839)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (1:2500) (Ref: OS (1:2500)) (ESF14454)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 9:59AM