Monument record CAV 018 - Colts Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7915 4765 (225m by 243m)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENDISH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Roughly oval embanked enclosure, in sloping pasture field, adjacent to Colts Hall with associated linear banks, ditches and trackways. The enclosure measures approximately 130m x 85m and encloses an area of about 1 ha (2.5 acres). Limited excavation in 1984 showed that the surrounding ditch was c.2.8m wide and 1.3m deep. The trenches also produced sherds of Thetford- type ware and C12-C14 medieval pottery, with small amounts of PMed pottery (S1)(S2). The manorial history suggests that Colts Hall was the site of the estate of Roger de St Germain, a tenant of Richard Fitz-Gilbert of Clare, in 1086. This enclosure could therefore be a manorial compound or ringwork associated with the St Germain family (S4).
- <S1> SSF3471 (No record type): Charge B, Investigation of an earthwork system at Colts Hall, Cavendish, Suffolk, J of the Haverhill.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BRL 28-29, BKL 11-13, BIF 62.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeology in Suffolk 1984, PSIA, 36, 1985, (1), 50.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP AP BRL 28-29, 1974, BKL 11-13, BIF 62, 1972.
- <S4> SSF19404 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 3:36PM