Poorly Located Find Spot record IKL 293 - Findspot of an Iron-Age bronze brooch of La Tene type
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 78 74 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze brooch of La Tene IA type (S1)(S2)(R1).
"Spring abnormal for Britain in having 6 coils (diameter 16mm); pin slender, tapering and sharp; foot reverted level with terminal ball, touching bow with snout ..., bow arched and somewhat splayed; Clarke's line of dots along crest was not seen by Hull, nor by Miss Wardman". "Has all the appearance of an importation from the Continent" (S3)(R2), & "perhaps a direct import" (S1)(S3).
"Well matched in Champagne both in the splay and the snouted ball (a boule et bec)", where seemingly never as late as 1b type brooches. In Britain type IA occurs from middle fifth to early fourth century BC (S3).
Formerly recorded as IKL MISC
- <R1> SSF15366 (No record type): OXFAS, 1932.515 (ex John Gwilt collection).
- <S1> SSF3636 (No record type): Clarke R R, `The IA in Norf & Suff', Arch J, 96, 1939, 32, fig 6.7, 33 & 96.
- <R2> SSF10516 (No record type): Leeds, E.T.. Leeds E T, Celtic Ornament in the British Isles down to AD 700, 1933, Oxford, 3 number 1.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham IA, undated.
- <S3> SSF7659 (No record type): Hull M R & Hawkes C F C, `Corpus of Ancient Brooches in Britain', BAR, 168, 1987, 75 & 81, plate 25.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:35AM