Monument record WHL 002 - Moat Yards Moated Site
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 410 814 (201m by 193m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WESTHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moated complex, unoccupied near 'Mill Common', central square and outworks, since ploughed (S1).
Square platform surrounded by wide flat-bottomed moat, the whole enclosed by a very large outer moat (see 1st Edition OS map of 1880s and RAF AP of circa 1945) of which only the N side remains [now gone]. A former house or farm site may have existed in the E part of this outer enclosure. The structure may have two periods of construction (S2).
1973: Shown on OS AP (S5).
1979: Shown on AP - ploughed to W, N & S and on interior of actual square moat (tree lined and water filled on S side) (S6).
1981: No visible remains of outer moat on N side (S2).
1987: The NE corner of scheduled area is built over and has been for some time (S3).
1991: [W half of moated complex] said to be ploughed (S4).
2000: Scheduled area reduced. Details in (S2).
March 2008: AP shows soil/cropmarks of two further adjoining square (?) moats adjoining W side of moat. Southernmost appears to have entrance to S (S7). These are not shown on the early OS maps.
Tithe map not checked.
- <S1> SSF17975 (No record type): SAU (Carr R D), undated.
- <M1> SSF44744 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M2> SSF44745 (No record type): Moats file: map.
- <S2> SSF5226 (No record type): DOE scheduling information, 1986.
- <S3> SSF18125 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), 1987.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S5> SSF12969 (No record type): OS, AP 73241 081, 1973.
- <S6> SSF44746 (No record type): AP: P Warner/1979/BZL 3.
- <S7> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. Potter R, attachment to email to SCCAS, 10 March 2008.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:19AM