Monument record LMG 009 - Livermere Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8754 7065 (1584m by 1416m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT LIVERMERE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Livermere Park (see also Livermere Hall - LML 014), established in 1728 - William Kent is stated to have been involved (pers comm Uhi Millington Aug 2010) with the park and pleasure grounds (see LMG 008). Circa 1735-1750 Baptist Lee moved village (LML 003) out of park. With his neighbours, the Calthorpes of Ampton Hall, Lee joined forces & enlarged the existing meres on their properties to form the present linked Livermere Long Water & Ampton Water.
In 1790 Humphry Repton came & produced sketches to improve the park (no red book is however known).
The earthwork bank (& ditch) dividing the two estates still survives - also see Little Livermere 015, as does part of a similar earthwork marking the bounds (pale) of the estate - also see Little Livermere 015 & Ampton 003. In Great Livermere parish the outer pale line now destroyed, marked by dotted line on map. For 1783 & 1836/1837 plottings of park - see (S1)(S2).
See also (R1).
- <S1> SSF12438 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st edition, sheets 54 & 55, 1836 & 1837.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF7573 (No record type): Hodskinson J, The County of Suffolk 1783, Suff Records Soc, 15, 1972, map 4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 20 2019 5:28PM