Monument record EYE 023 - St Peter & Paul C of E Aided Primary School; Eye Castle
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1474 7380 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1987: Excavation within inner bailey & beside motte of Eye Castle - EYE 016, following demolition of Victorian school buildings. Various chambers, a small and a massive tower and part of the curtain wall were revealed structurally and 1.6m of PMed dumped soil was shown to overlie a relatively thick, ?C14, destruction level. Traces of clay flooring were located below this with the old ground surface being 2m down (S1). Archive with SAU Ipswich?
For further excavation of inner bailey, see EYE 018.
For possible outer bailey ditch, see EYE 027.
- <M1> SSF45983 (No record type): Excavation archive: SAU, Ipswich.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 36, 1988, (4), 317.
- <S2> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p267.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 3:22PM