Monument record ERL 062 - Lower Lodge (1783); Little Lodge (1813)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7387 8010 (170m by 95m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
`Lower Lodge' shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1).
Named 'Little Lodge' on sketch map from field book of 1813 (published 1824-30)(S5). Gone by 1865? (S2). Possible site of Warrener's Lodge similar to Thetford, Mildenhall 134 and ? Lakenheath 115.
Tiny building marked here on 1818 Enclosure map, although not annotated (S3).
One of two warrener's lodges in Eriswell, which had a `Low Warren and a High Warren' (as seen on 1818 map). See ERL 091 for details of High Lodge.
Shown on Ogilby's Map, 1675 (S4).
2010 The Breckland Society survey The Warrens of Breckland identified the two lodges marked on Hodskinson's map associated with the rabbit warren which was first mentioned in 1309 as a "small rabbit warren with a right of free-warren valued at 1 marc. When the manor of Eriswell was purchased in 1652 the title noted "two free warrens containing 2000 acres and the game and stock of coneys in the said warrens" (S6).
See ERL 102 for Eriswell Warren.
- <S1> SSF5461 (No record type): Dymond D (ed), `The County of Suffolk Surveyed by Joseph Hodskinson 1783', Suffolk Rec Soc, 15, 1972.
- <S2> SSF15240 (No record type): OS, one-inch map (1st ed revised), sheet 54, circa 1865.
- <S3> SSF5702 (No record type): Enclosure map of Eriswell, 1818, SRO(B), Q/R114.
- <S4> SSF50054 Map: Ogilby John, Britannia, 1675.
- <S5> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Field Book Map, 1813, Part of Sheet 238, 2" (:mile?), 1824-30, Bury, HD 1720/3.
- <S6> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society. P 21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 3:04PM