Monument record BUC 021 - Possible Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2368 4191 (25m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch. Single circle, circa 20m diameter, part of group (also BUC 002, 003, 022 & 023 within cropmark complex BUC 012 (S1).
Formerly part of BUC 012.
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, to the south west of Bucklesham, centred on circa TM236419. The cropmark of the ditch is relatively narrow, up to circa 1.5 metres in width, enclosing an area circa 20 metres in diameter. Such a ring ditch could also be interpreted as the remains of a round house of later prehistoric date, but the location of several more substantial ring ditches in the immediate area (see above) makes an interpretation as a possible barrow cemetery more plausible. (S3-S)
- <S1> SSF17492 (No record type): RCHME, AP TM 2341/7/301, June 1976.
- <M1> SSF37951 (No record type): APs: RCHME TM 2341/7/301; SAU ACX 12.
- <S2> SSF18330 (No record type): SAU, AP ACX 12, June 1976.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4033-4 06-JUL-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/113 5326 30-AUG-1948.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2342/27/319 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2341/1/229 (956) 07-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2013 10:53AM