Monument record BUC 022 - Ring ditch, possibly the remains of a Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2374 4190 (39m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch. Single circle, circa 30m diameter, part of group (also BUC 002, 003, 021 & 023) within cropmark complex BUC 012 (S1)(S2).
Formerly part of BUC 012.
A ring ditch circa 30 metres in diameter, possibly the remains of a round barrow of Bronze Age date, is visible as a cropmark to the south west of Bucklesham, centred on circa TM 237419. The ditch is between 2 and 3.5 metres wide. No central features can be seen on the aerial photographs. This ring ditch may have formed a cemetery group with the other ring ditches in this area, mentioned above. (S3-S)
- <S1> SSF17492 (No record type): RCHME, AP TM 2341/7/301, June 1976.
- <M1> SSF37952 (No record type): APs: RCHME TM 2341/7/301; SAU ARE 1, ACQ 23, 24, 26 & 27, ACS 28, ACX 12.
- <S2> SSF18910 (No record type): SAU, APs ARE 1, Aug 1983; ACQ 23, 24, 26 & 27, July 1975; ACS 28, July 1976; ACX 12, June 1976.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4033-4 06-JUL-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 ii 5233-4 28-jul-1948.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2341/1/228-9 (956) 07-JUL-1976.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2342/27/316 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2013 10:53AM