Monument record DUN 014 - All Saints Church and Churchyard
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4790 7032 (117m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
All Saints Church. C14 church, a vicarage of Eye Priory, in use about 1755, ruinous before 1780, went over the cliff between 1904 and 1919 (S1). Consisted of a nave & north aisle (91ft x 22ft), chancel (40ft x 21ft), west tower (16ft x 10ft) and south porch. The aisle was separated from the nave by octagonal pillars. Various wills refer to the aisle being built/rebuilt circa 1527-1535. The aisle was pulled down in 1725. The church was in use in 1754 and was dismantled circa 1778, though burials continued in the churchyard as late as 1879. The last remnant of the church, the NW buttress of the tower was removed from the cliff edge in 1919 and re-erected 1923 in the churchyard of St James' (S2).
A drawing on the map of Dunwich published in 1753 shows a long church with Perpendicular nave windows and Decorated chancel windows and a Perpendicular W tower (S3). Part of the churchyard still survives, together with at least three gravestones, including that of John Brinkley Easey (d. 1826) which is on the very edge of the cliff (though it is thought to have been moved at least once).
1933: TM 4780 7035 Skull from All Saints churchyard found, transferred from Aylesbury Museum to Ipswich Museum 1975 (S5).
2021: skull fragment found at the base of the cliff (S6).
- --- SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Haslewood Rev F 'Monuments in the Churchyard of All Saints, Dunwich' vol 7 pg 253-4.
- <S1> SSF1244 (No record type): Blatchly J & Northeast P, `Lost & ruined churches' in Cautley H M, Suffolk Churches, 5th ed, 1982, 4.
- <S2> SSF6777 (No record type): Gay N, Glorious Dunwich, circa 1946.
- <S3> SSF6764 (No record type): Gardner T, An Historical Account of Dunwich, 1754.
- <S4> SSF21702 (No record type): Suckling A, History & Antiquities of Suffolk, vol 2, 1848, 275-278.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1975.68, 1975.
- <S6> SSF59993 Finds Report: Anderson, S.. 2021. Dunwich Cliff Bone.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S8> SSF60097 Bibliographic reference: Bryant, T. H.. 1912. County Churches.
- <S9> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S10> SSF60108 Bibliographic reference: Grose, F.. 1775. Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales.
- <S11> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 16-MAY-74.
- <S12> SSF60110 Bibliographic reference: Parker, R.. 1980. Men of Dunwich.
- <S13> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 1891, vol 7 pg 238-9.
- <S14> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. 1912, vol 14 pg 317.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 10:47AM