Monument record STN 025 - The Gashouse
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8112 8770 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
January 1990: Site of gas holding tanks for Downham Hall (STN 017). During topsoil clearance for excavation of footings for extension to N of `The Gas house' a large brick lined pit of 6.20m internal diameter (shell 9ins thick) and 2m maximum depth (with domed concrete base) below ground level was located. Mr Marshall recalls that the gas tanks that sat above this pit/s were still in position in about 1940 (S1). Shown on OS 1:2500 map as `gasometer' (S2). For similar gasometers, see FSG 003.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 18 1990 12:00AM