Monument record CUL 021 - Culford Hall; Culford School
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8318 7039 (83m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Culford School, originally Culford Hall. First Hall built by Sir Nathanial Bacon. Present house built by the first Marquess of Cornwallis about 1790, attributed to James Wyatt. Enlarged out of all recognition by William Young for Earl Cadogan, circa 1900.
1790 House was of 7 bays and two and a half storeys, yellow brick with a 3 bay pediment and little enrichment. To this front a giant portico of 8 columns was added in 1807-8. It has since been removed. Stonemason's wages book lists work done at Hall in 1790-1793 and 1807-1808 (S3). Engraving of Hall in 1818 in Bury Record Office (S4). The gargantuan Cadogan enlargements are of white brick, in a weak Italianate style, with an asymmetrically placed tower and large rooms, rich but rather commonplace in their decorations. Excellent C19 staircase under a coffered vault with glazed centre (S1). In 1674 hearth tax return listed as house with 20-29 hearths (S2).
For Park, see CUL 022.
See also (R1).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 ed, 182.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF5472 (No record type): Dymond D, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 86, map.
- <S3> SSF21517 (No record type): SRO (Bury), Culford Hall, Stonemason's wages book, 2285.
- <S4> SSF21516 (No record type): SRO (Bury), Culford Hall (engraving), 1818, 988/2/53.
- <S5> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 832 703, JDD3 & 6-8, 1 July 1996.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2011 12:32PM