Monument record WHL 015 - Westhall Hall; Westhall Farm

Please read our .

Summary

Cropmark of S half of large (circa 80m diameter) ring ditch or circular enclosure ?surrounding Westhall Hall (Farm) - ?circular moat? Part of E side built over with stock sheds (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 4333 8016 (237m by 215m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM48SW
Civil Parish WESTHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Cropmark of S half of large (circa 80m diameter) ring ditch or circular enclosure ?surrounding Westhall Hall (Farm) - ?circular moat? Part of E side built over with stock sheds (S1). Sheds demolished circa 1977 (S1), Hall now gone, existed in 1977.
Westhall Hall dates principally from 1570 & 1870 (S2). Home of Edmund Bohun, who wrote the Geographical Dictionary, in C17. Photo in (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, AP AGD 12, July 1977.
  • <M1> (No record type): AP: AGD 12.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 ed, 479.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 505.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 21 1995 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.