Monument record LMD 057 - Icehouse; Icehouse Plantation; Melford Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8720 4616 (70m by 71m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Icehouse. Associated with Melford Hall (LMD 058), circa 500m to E of Hall in Icehouse Plantation within Melford Park (S1)(S2). Grid reference for `Icehouse Plantation' only.
1990: The bricks of this icehouse were used to restore the Hall after a fire during the Second World War. The remaining hole has now been filled in. The structure was underground in the 'Icehouse Plantation' approx 540m from the hall. The chamber was circular and brick lined. Likely 18th century. Fishponds were the source of ice until it went out of use before the Second World War (S3)(R1).
- <S1> SSF12677 (No record type): OS, 1:10560, 1:10000 & 1:2500 maps TL 84 NE & TL 8646-8746, 1958, 1979 & 1972.
- <M1> SSF38630 (No record type): (S2).
- <R1> SSF58564 Source Unchecked: Parker, Sir R. H.. 1984. ?.
- <S2> SSF7372 (No record type): HBMCE, Register of Parks & Gardens, 39, Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF1171 Monograph: Beamon, S. P. and Roaf, S.. 1990. The Ice-Houses of Britain. p. 399.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 9 2018 12:00PM