Monument record LMD 058 - Melford Hall; Melford Park (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8704 4631 (1033m by 921m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- GREAT HOUSE (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (16th century to 19th century - 1501 AD to 1800 AD)
- SERPENTINE WALL (19th century to 20th century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Melford Hall and Park.
Mansion (brick built) of circa 1556-1559 (or earlier) rebuilt on site of moated house belonging to abbots of Bury. Buildings to N, W & S of courtyard (& to E as shown by plan by John Thorpe at the Soane Museum). Major internal changes in C18 & 1813. Details of building in (S1)(S4). In 1674 second largest house in Suffolk with 49 hearths (S3).
Gardens and fish ponds (see Med) of circa 5-6 ha, of circa 1559, set in park of circa 53 ha. Licence to empark 1613, replacing earlier park. Includes summerhouse (circa 1559), crinkle crankle wall (to S) of circa early C19, sun dial, gatehouse (circa 1559) flanked by lodges of C19. Drive between replanted lime avenue, walled stable yard. Park planted C17 & C18. Plan of 1613 & survey of 1735 (S2)(R1)(R2).
Also see C16 water conduit to N, LMD 041, and icehouse to E, LMD 057.
2006: Monitoring of works for the replacement of the drains at Long Melford Hall. The results of the monitoring demonstrated that archaeological deposits associated with the earlier medieval buildings and occupation survive on the site (S6).
See also Med and Un.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1975 (ed), 350-351, plate 52.
- <R1> SSF4176 (No record type): Country Life, 19 Oct 1901, 496; 31 July 1937, 116; 7 Aug 1937, 142; 25 Apr 1963, 919.
- <M1> SSF43523 (No record type): APs: NAU GDT 2-4.
- <R2> SSF22110 (No record type): Thomas G S, Gardens of the National Trust, 1979.
- <S2> SSF5726 Source Unchecked: English Heritage. English Heritage, Register of Parks & Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Part 39 Suffolk,. English Heritage, Register of Parks & Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Part 39 Suffo.
- <R3> SSF15520 (No record type): Parker Sir W, History of Long Melford.
- <S3> SSF5453 (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 146 & map 38.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 252-253.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, AP, BW/99/14/1.
- <S6> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Gill D, SCCAS 20106/172.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2009 3:52PM