Monument record BRD 072 - Gashouse Drove; Gasholder Station; Gas House

Please read our .


Brandon gas works.


Grid reference Centred TL 7887 8657 (67m by 78m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL78NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Brandon gas works.
1883: `Gas works have been erected by a local company and the town has, since the commencement of 1869, been lighted with gas' (S1). Two gas holding tanks, circa 40 feet (circa 12m) in diameter still in existence on 1976 and 1981 maps (S2)(S3), although three shown on 1959 map (S3), `gashouse' to N.
1997: No remains of gasholding tanks or 'gashouse' survive (above ground) on site (S4).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> (No record type): Kelly's directory of Suffolk, 1883, 819.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, TL 7886-7986, 1976.
  • <S3> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 & 1:10000 maps, TL 78 NE, 1959 & 1981.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. SAU, Pendleton C, Site Visit, 1997.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 24 1990 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.