Monument record ARW 025 - Possible Later Prehistoric or Roman trackways and field boundaries, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 215 350 (590m by 633m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Cropmarks of field ditches and pair of parallel ditches associated with surviving field boundaries. Within the system is an area of ditches forming a group of smaller ?fields and a possible sub-rectangular enclosure (S1). Adjoining ARW 011, ARW 005 & ARW 002.
1996: Mapped area enlarged to W to include further trackway and field boundary ditches (S2).
Possible Later Prehistoric or Roman trackways and field boundaries are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 21523511 in the field to the south of Warren Bottom Cottages in Arwarton parish. The cropmarks are dominated by a wide double-ditched trackway or boundary which runs north to south through the field on a curvilinear alignment. A number of linear field boundaries abut the trackway and another short section of trackway cuts the first at its northern end, suggesting that more than one phase of activity is visible. Other short stretches of trackway can be seen at TM 21373514 and TM 21343494. The latter also has abutting field boundaries. Other linear ditches in the field may be field boundaries or possibly modern field drains. The trackways appear to bear no relation to the Post Medieval enclosure pattern and could be of Later Prehistoric or Roman origin (S2, S3). (S4)
- --- SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66189 122-123 23-JUL-1966.
- <S1> SSF11026 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters I, AP 141, July 1990.
- <M1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. APs: (S1)Essex CC, Strachen D, APs, CP/96/14/3 & 4(S2-S3).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/12 (EXC 16927/03) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/12 (EXC 16927/04) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 12/05/2004.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:41PM