Monument record HBK 013 - Trackways, rectilinear enclosures and field boundaries of unknown date, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 179 347 (636m by 422m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Group of irregular linear field boundaries including a pair of parallel ditches (?trackway), one large ditch also defines parish boundary. Some large, pit-like marks, others may be natural (S1).
Trackways, rectilinear enclosures and field boundaries of unknown date are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 17913475 to the south of Lower Holbrook, east of the cropmarks shown on (S1). A rectilinear enclosure is visible centred on TM 17923472. Its eastern side is formed by a double ditched trackway which appears to be running from the village towards the estuary. Within the enclosure, one side of a possible curvilinear ditched enclosure is visible. Other linear ditches which probably represent field boundaries are visible to the west centred on TM 17773484. Other short stretches of possible trackway are also visible (S2)(S3). (S1) shows a length a possible double ditched trackway which does not appear to relate to the features described above. The photograph available was not of sufficient quality to enable the mapping of this feature. The large ditch defining the parish boundary marks the position of a field boundary visible on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey 25" map of circa 1904 (S4) and therefore has not been mapped as part of the project. (S5)
- <S1> SSF11027 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters I, AP 60, 1986.
- <M1> SSF39568 (No record type): AP: Mrs I McMasters, 60.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66189 117-118 23-JUL-1966.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/80104 017-019 03-JUN-1980.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 11/03/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 9:28AM