Monument record SWL 004 - Victoria Mills; Little Moat Farm

Please read our .


Swilland Windmill: `Large post mill with three storey roundhouse.


Grid reference Centred TM 1898 5387 (45m by 60m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM15SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Swilland Windmill: `Large post mill with three storey roundhouse. It ceased work in 1936 and was demolished in the mid 1950's. The roundhouse remains, slightly reduced in height and re-roofed for use as a gallery for pottery made in the adjacent steam mill. There were four patent sails, four pairs of stones (three in later years) and a fantail, originally sited above the rear gable' (S1). Mapped by Greenwood in 1824 (S1)(S2)(R1).
Shown as ?within two sides (W & S) of a wet ?square, `moated' enclosure on 1:10560 & 1:10000 maps and on 1900s OS map, however not shown on 1880s OS map so presumably relatively recent. Now known as Little Moat Farm (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 47.
  • <R1> (No record type): Greenwood, map, 1824.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
  • <S3> (No record type): OS, 1:10560 & 1:10000 maps, TM 15 SE, circa 1958 & 1980.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 15 2009 10:19AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.