Monument record MTF 137 - Post Medieval post mill with roundhouse, demolished around 1914.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3003 7979 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||METFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Post mill with roundhouse, demolished circa 1914. The roundhouse remained until the war when an explosion on the nearby airfield damaged it causing it to be demolished. The lower part of the walling remains. There were four patent sails, two pairs of stones and a fantail (S1). Earliest mapping, Hodskinson 1783 (S2)(S3).
Note: mapped site still retains part of sub circular enclosure (S4).
- <M1> SSF39692 (No record type): Windmill file:.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 45.
- <S2> SSF6494 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 138.
- <S3> SSF5306 (No record type): Dolman P, draft list of Suffolk windmills on maps.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 & 1:10000 maps, TM 3079 3179 & TM37NW, 1973 & 1975.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S6> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2021 5:20PM