Monument record SUY 031 - Highfield Mill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8658 4294 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Highfield Mill. Large smock mill with three storey base, built in 1855 by William Bear. It ceased work in the Great War and was pulled down in 1919. The base had been converted into a house in 1927. There were four patent sails, four pairs of stones, a domed cap with gallery and fantail and a stage at second floor level (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <M1> SSF39799 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 47.
- <S2> SSF6499 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 140, 148.
- <S3> SSF5280 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of windmills on maps, undated.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 22 1991 12:00AM