Monument record PSM 015 - Large five storey tower mill built in 1846 by William Bear.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 941 508 (26m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||PRESTON ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Large five storey tower mill built in 1846 by William Bear. It ceased work circa 1919 and the sails and some of the gearing was taken to Debenham in 1920. it was demolished in 1928 and only the foundations remain. There were four patent sails, a dome cap with fantail and three pairs of stones (S1)(S2).
Marked on 1840 tithe map - relocated on HER map and NGR adjusted accordingly (S4).
- <M1> SSF39800 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 50.
- <S2> SSF6496 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 139.
- <S3> SSF5280 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of windmills on maps, undated.
- <S4> SSF56837 Map: 1840. Preston Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1891.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2021 3:17PM