Monument record SBN 061 - Withermarsh Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0061 3683 (9m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||STOKE-BY-NAYLAND, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Withermarsh Green - post mill with roundhouse. The buck was moved to Polstead circa 1875 and the roundhouse remains, now disused. There were four spring sails, one pair of stones and tailpole (S1). It was first mapped by Greenwood in 1824 (S2)(S3).
(S4) Records a `myller' in 1522.
- <M1> SSF45741 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 47.
- <S2> SSF6499 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 140, 148.
- <S3> SSF5280 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of windmills on maps, undated.
- <S4> SSF52 (No record type): A Military Survey of the Babergh Hundred in 1522, Record Office, Ref: 45.5.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1892.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2021 4:08PM