Monument record NDG 008 - Naughton Mill, on the Tye
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 017 496 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||NEDGING-WITH-NAUGHTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Naughton Mill. Post mill with roundhouse burnt down in 1909. The roundhouse survived into the 1930s but has now gone, the foundations alone remaining (S1). First mapped by Greenwood in 1824 (S2)(S3).
Note: Mill Field (plot 227) and Mill Hill (plot 228) recorded in tithe apportionment - map need checking for location to see if fields relate to this mill site.
2014: monitoring of ground works for a new dwelling identified the remains the foundations of the brick built roundhouse and trestle pad bases with the latter being left in situ. While the post mill was in existence before 1824 the parish tithe map indicates that the mill house is of a post 1841 date and examination of the bricks and ceramic drains from the mill foundations point to it having been rebuilt in the mid 19th century (S5).
- <M1> SSF39825 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 50.
- <S2> SSF6494 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 138.
- <S3> SSF5280 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of windmills on maps, undated.
- <S4> SSF56693 Map: 1841. Naughton Tithe Apportionment.
- <S5> SSF55849 Unpublished document: Newman J. 2014. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Naughton Mill House, Nedging Road, Nedging with Naughton.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1890.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2021 2:59PM