Monument record CTT 004 - Four storey Post Medieval smock mill.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0905 4253 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHATTISHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Four storey smock mill, built in 1867 by Collins of Melton. It ceased work by wind circa 1919. Worked by steam until 1928 and was pulled down in the late 1940s or early 1950s. The foundations remain in the garden of the mill cottage. It had four double shuttered patent sails and a boat shaped cap with fantail (S1).
Flint (S2) and Dolman (S3) note a mill was first mapped on this site in 1838, the 1867 mill presumably replacing it.
March 1993: Watching brief on extension to Mill Cottage produced PMed finds of C18 and C19 pottery and building debris; no evidence for original structure of windmill, more for brick-built accessory structures for early C20 steam-driven mill. Mill shown on tithe map. Sails removed c.1919 (PSIA)(S4).
- <M1> SSF42430 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 49.
- <S2> SSF6486 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 131.
- <S3> SSF5280 (No record type): Dolman P C J, list of windmills on maps, undated.
- <S4> SSF19954 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, March 1993.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1891.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2021 3:10PM