Monument record HUD 010 - Church of All Saints (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7387 4872 (93m by 143m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HUNDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A church is recorded here in the Domesday book. A second church for this parish is also documented and is thought to be located in Barnardiston (S2).
All Saints Church, Hundon, is situated in the centre of the parish, in the village back from the main street. It is a C14 random flint church with stone dressings, comprising a chancel, with S chapel, nave with aisles, S porch and a square embattled W tower. It is mainly in the Perpendicular style, both the aisles are early Decorated, the chancel is Decorated and the chapel circa 1470. There are some 3-light windows and a piscina in the S aisle that date from the early English period. The C14 tower has a castellated parapet, angle buttress and an octagonal staircase turret rising above the parapet, with a wood belfry on top. The roof and interior woodwork was destroyed by fire in 1914. The nave has an attractive open work parapet with quatrefoil tracery. The C14 S door is flanked by a canopied niche and the C15 porch has flushwork panelling and a chamber above (S1). Also Sax coin hoard from graveyard.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2012 12:23PM