Monument record WSW 039 - Parish church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 819 705 (96m by 79m)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Mary's, West Stow. Nave and chancel Decorated, 4-light reticulated east window. Perpendicular nave north windows & west tower. Piscina in the angle of the south-east window which is elaborately crocketed and finialled, and the nave south lancet and south doorway (S1).
The church was extensively restored circa 1878 by the Rev. E.R. Benyon (S2: Information derived from NRHE to HER prototype website).
A church is recorded at West Stow in Domesday Book. Note Saxon pottery to SE - WSW 038.
The churchyard is shown as larger and roughly triangular on a map of 1815 (S3).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 481-2.
- <S2> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) District of ST Edmundsbury, Suffolk, 1984, 33..
- <S3> SSF21860 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, FL 648/13/2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2016 2:55PM