Building record NWN 003 - Church of St Peter, Nowton

Please read our .

Summary

Grade II* listed 12th century Parish Church of St Peter, Nowton.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8633 6046 (23m by 14m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86SE
Civil Parish NOWTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

St Peter Nowton. A Church is listed in the Domesday Book. Norman N doorway with one order of shafts and crockety capitals. In the E wall of the N aisle a re-set Norman window. The aisle is painful neo-Norman of 1843. The S doorway is genuinely Norman, but simpler. Chancel of c1300. Three light intersected E window, a circle in the top field. Decorated W Tower. About 70 pieces of foreign glass, from monasteries at Brussels. Close to Nowton Hall (NWN 001) otherwise isolated. (S1)

Grade II* listed building. Parish church. C12, C13 and C14; much restored and enlarged in 1843. In random flint, extensively repointed, with freestone quoins and dressings. Old plain-tiled roofs. Simple Norman south doorway, and a C12 north doorway, with keeled roll-moulding and one order of shafts with volute capitals, incorporated into a north aisle in Victorian Romanesque style. A small plain Norman window has also been reused at the east end of this aisle. Early C13 chancel. 2-light ogee-headed windows to north and south, and a 3- light east window with intersecting tracery and mouchettes. Angle buttresses at the east end. Unbuttressed C14 tower in 3 stages: plain base; freestone quoins, dressings and string-courses; stone facing to the crenellated parapet, which has damaged pinnacles at the corners. A 2-light window with flowing tracery to the lowest stage of the west face, a single cinquefoil-headed window in the second stage, and a 2-light cusped Y-tracery window to each face of the top stage. A canted stair-turret on the south side with a conical roof. Very little original work survives inside: most of the fittings, and the north arcade in Romanesque style, date from the 1843 restoration. Extensively restored screen. A feature of the church are the numerous small roundels of engraved C16/C17 Flemish glass in the nave and chancel windows, about 75 in all, set into brightly-coloured surrounds of C19 stained glass. Various memorial tablets on the walls, mainly to the Oakes family (S2).

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 381.
  • <S2> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 12 2018 11:24AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.