Monument record STS 006 - Church of St James
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8434 4933 (86m by 52m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||STANSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St James' Church, Stanstead, is situated slightly S of the main village, next to the former Hall site (STS 001). Itis small mostly Perpendicular, the W tower with small lancets, the N doorway and the chancel doorway are early C14 (S1). Except for fragments of glass canopy work and a good set of Queen Anne's Arms, there is nothing of great interest in this church. Interesting C19 roof to nave and chancel with arched-braced tie-beams. Ring of six bells dismantled in 1964. Tenor bell displayed at the W end of the nave, made by Stephen Tonni in 1544. A church is recorded at Stanstead in the Domesday survey (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:05AM