Monument record SXG 005 - Church of St Andrew
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7885 6282 (64m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||THE SAXHAMS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Andrew's Church, Gt Saxham, is situated near the centre of the parish, S of the present village. There is no record of St Andrew's in the Domesday book. Rebuilt in 1798 and Gothicized since. The tower and S porch are Med, the tower below perhaps pre-Perpendicular, the front Perpendicular. In addition two humble Norman doorways were preserved N & S. Font octagonal, Perpendicular; Jacobean pulpit; benches - some with poppy-heads. In the E window some extremely good German early C16 glass, mixed up with much that seems Flemish & Swiss. Swiss glass of minor value in the W window (S1).
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 238.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:01AM