Monument record RDE 003 - Church of All Saints

Please read our .

Summary

All Saints' church, Rede, is situated E of the parish in the village.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 8047 5594 (56m by 68m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL85NW
Civil Parish REDE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

All Saints' church, Rede, is situated E of the parish in the village. This church is greatly restored. The nave walls are probably Norman. W tower of C13, S porch C15 with pinnacles and a niche crowned by an ogee arch. Chancel of 1874. Pulpit is C17 with scrolls for the book rest. Some benches have poppy-heads. E window glass of 1874 (S2). The most interesting thing is the sanctus bell window in the E wall of the tower. This has a small cusped stone arch and what may be the original filling of open traceried woodwork. There is a church recorded here in the Domesday book (S1).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 340.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 398.
  • <S3> Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. ESSEX CC AP BW/99/8/6.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 1 2021 12:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.