Monument record AKE 010 - Rise Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1463 4865 (58m by 67m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||AKENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
L-shaped piece of water, possibly the remains of a moat. Lies adjacent to the present Rise Hall, a Late Georgian house of red brick (S1). This is the site of the manor of Rous or Rice Hall, named after the Le Rus family who held the manor in the C13. After the death of William le Rus (inquisitions post mortem 1252-3 and 1259-60) the manor was amalgamated with the main Akenham manor under the de Brewse family. Alienated to the Barnard family in the late C15 and sold by them to Edmund Withypole in the mid C16. Named as Risehall 1604 (S2)(S3). Pond at TM 1474 4862 may be a Med fish pond.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 71.
- <S2> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol 2, 1908, 230f.
- <S3> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Suffolk Records, vol 1, 1904, 13-14.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 28 2012 5:04PM