Monument record WLY 002 - Church of St Thomas a Becket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8202 6443 (55m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLEY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
In September 1983 the SIA visited the ruins of St Thomas a Becket's church at Westley. It was noted that the tower of the old church (St Thomas Becket) fell and badly damaged church, which was restored, in 1744. "Building used until 1835, when partly demolished and many monuments and fittings removed to new church" (S1)(S4).
"The old church (St Thomas a Becket) is in ruins. It seems to have been chiefly of Decorated work, and possessed a curious Decorated three-light E window" (S2).
"St Thomas a Becket's church was a Med church, but is now in ruins. The E wall and window frame, part of the W wall and the NW angle, and a pier are the only visible remains" (S3).
The new church (WLY 003) said to be built from material of old church (S4).
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 35, 1984, (4), 334.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 377-378 (ill).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SW1, 1977 (ill).
- <S4> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map.
- <S6> SSF59819 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1961. Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Thinghoe RD Suff April 1951.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 BHS 06-MAR-70.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 1:31PM