Monument record NAC 041 - Orwell Park (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2128 3946 (1407m by 910m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Deer park said to have been laid out by Francis Vernon, Earl of Shipbrook before 1764 (S1).
Park is not shown on Emanuel Bowen's map of 1755 (S2), but is shown on Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S3). Francis Vernon succeeded his uncle, Admiral Edward Vernon, here in 1757 and died in 1783. In 1892 the park consisted of 200 acres containing 200 deer (S4).
Nacton Tithe map, 1838, shows a "Deer Yard" within the park at TM 2102 3957 (C), a "Keepers House" at TM 2156 3955 (C) on the edge of the park and another "Deer Yard" at TM 2188 3938 (C) on the edge of the park, adjacent to Shore Lane; the building adjoining the North side of the last Deer Yard is called The Buck House! The majority of the deer park is now in the grounds of Orwell Park House (built in the 1930's for the Pretymans, owners of the estate, by N. & D. Spain, London (S5)(S6)), the remainder is in the grounds of Orwell Park School (the original house - see NAC 042).
Park laid out for Lord Orwell (later Earl of Shipbrook) before 1764 (S7).
A substantial and well defined ditch is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the park, running from TM 21093967 to TM 20833940. It starts at the northern boundary of the park and terminates at Orwell Park House. It may just be a drain or it may represent some form of landscaping or boundary related to the park. (S8) (S9)
See also (R1).
- <S1> SSF21218 (No record type): Shirley E P, Some account of English Deer Parks (quoted in (S4)).
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF1401 (No record type): Bowen E, An Accurate Map of the County Suffolk 1755, SRO (B) M514/1.
- <S3> SSF7535 (No record type): Hodskinson J, Map of Suffolk 1783 (rep Suff Records Soc. 1972, vol XV).
- <S4> SSF6252 (No record type): Farrer E, Deer Parks of East Anglia, no date but c 1920, SRO (B), 71, 73.
- <S5> SSF10215 (No record type): Kenwothy-Browne, J.. Kenworthy-Browne J et al, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, vol III, E. Anglia, 1981, 255.
- <S6> SSF21029 (No record type): Scarfe N, Shell Guide - Suffolk, 1976, 136.
- <S7> SSF10306 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby J, Suffolk Traveller, rev ed by Canning Rev R, 1764.
- <S8> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF HLA/686 4150-4152 02-MAR-1944.
- <S9> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 18-JAN-1947.
- <S10> SSF58554 Bibliographic reference: Olmert, M.. 2007. Ice Houses. p.7.
- <S11> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2021 10:07AM