Monument record SUP 011 - Church of the Holy Trinity;

Please read our .

Summary

Church of the Holy Trinity (formerly part of Stowmarket, Church of St. Peter)

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0720 6008 (72m by 80m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM06SE
Civil Parish STOWUPLAND, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Church of the Holy Trinity formerly(?) Church of St. Peter (Stowmarket??)(S1). Present church built 1843: Consists of chancel, W tower, W gallery (S2). Also consists of C16/17th pulpit possibly from original church. Details in (S1)(S2).
Evidence for Medieval church dubious - needs checking (nothing shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map).
There is no evidence for an earlier church, and certainly not one in this location on Tithe Map. Stowupland was a chapelry of Stowmarket.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 446.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 353.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jan 9 2015 4:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.