Monument record BUC 040 - Ring ditch of unknown date, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2514 4079 (22m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cropmark - ring ditch (approx 15-20m in diameter)(S1). Near BUC 038 in the south east of modern field - the site of stray find (bronze socketed gouge) and near enclosure (BUC 041) cropmark in north west of modern field.
A ring ditch is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, about 230 metres to the south-west of Redhouse Farm, centred on circa TM25174080, Bucklesham parish. The ring ditch encloses and area approximately 7 metres in diameter, the ditch itself is approximately 1.5 metres in width. The cropmark may be of the remains of a ditch encircling a Bronze Age barrow or possibly evidence for the drip-gulley of a round house of Iron Age date, although it appears a little wide for the latter interpretation. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP, CME 63, June 1980.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP 63.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/15/8, June 1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 2540/24 (1845/033) 31-JUL-1980.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. TM 2540/20 (4578/17) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 11:55AM