Monument record SUE 027 - Site of circular post medieval plantation boundary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4168 5338 (63m by 63m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Circular cropmark, ?ring ditch or circular enclosure, approximately 60m diameter (S1). A circular plantation is marked on OS 1:10560 map provisional edition. A similar site, SUE 003 is in adjacent field.
August 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The circular post medieval plantation boundary described above is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs (S2)-(S4) and depicted on historic Ordnance Survey maps (S5). Together with a second circular plantation, SUE 003 111m to the northeast, it formed part of a formal, compartmentalised part of Sudbourne Common, perhaps reflecting the use of the area for shooting in the 19th century (S6).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 3rd August 2015.
- <S1> SSF13133 (No record type): OS, APs 72057/56,57.
- <M1> SSF41471 (No record type): APs: OS 72057/56,57.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/72057 V 057-058 24-MAR-1972 (EHA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. NMR 23560/19-23 07-JUN-2004 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 2000 ACCESSED 03-AUG-2015 (Digital).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey First Edition Map.
- <S6> SSF55948 Web Page: http://www.wallacecollection.org/thecollection/historyofthecollection/otherhertfordhousesandconnection/england.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 6 2016 1:42PM