Monument record BUH 016 - Church of St Lawrence (St Andrew)

Please read our .

Summary

Church of St Lawrence: Consists of chancel, nave, S Porch, W tower.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 2715 6955 (87m by 91m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM26NE
Civil Parish BRUNDISH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Church of St Lawrence: Consists of chancel, nave, S Porch, W tower. C12 tower & arch into nave, main structure of nave & chancel C14/C15. Several brasses including one of circa 1360 (one of earliest in county). Details in (S1)(S2)(S3)(S5). Medieval dedication was St Andrew.

2016: Archaeological monitoring during the installation of a new drainage system led to the recording of footings o some of the church buttresses. No evidence of pre-church activity, or of an earlier church, was seen and no burials were disturbed. The only finds recovered during the work were two fragments of window glass of post-medieval or later date, and some fragmentary of modern pottery (S4)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 119.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. 247.
  • <S3> (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 2016. Archaeological Monitoring Report: The Church of St Lawrence, Brundish.
  • <S5> Unpublished document: Richmond, H.. 2014. Conservation Report: Church of St Lawrence, Brundish.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 1 2019 11:29AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.